Senior marketers believe that the leading value of the marketing/IT relationship is the ability to gather data across the enterprise, according to a recent report from the CMO Council, which also detailed a host of internal challenges to that internal relationship. Here’s another potential challenge to the relationship, unearthed by a new Accenture study: 44% of CMOs surveyed from across the world simply don’t believe there’s any need for alignment with CIOs.
While 72% of CIOs surveyed ranked the CMO/marketing relationship as important, only 57% of CMOs concurred with respect to the CIO relationship.
Moreover, only 13% of CMOs said that their amount of collaboration with CIOs is at the right level, with 41% saying more collaboration is needed. CIOs offered similar viewpoints regarding their relationships with CMOs (11% and 42%, respectively). So while some data indicates that IT is more invested in the relationship than marketing, not all results bear that out.
Interestingly, trust may be an issue standing in the way of improved relationships: while 45% of CIOs said that marketing IT was near or at the top of their priority list, only 36% of CMOs believed that to be the case.
The study goes into some depth concerning the frustrations that each group have with each other. For CMOs:
- Only 51% agreed that the CIO understands marketing requirements, while 45% agree that IT employees understand marketing programs;
- 46% agree that marketing employees understand IT; and
- 45% want to enable marketing employees to operate data and content without IT intervention.
This does not bode well, but I suppose since we’re early in the game, we’ll see these percentages changes. The question is by how much will they change. CMOs must align with CIOs, otherwise the CIO will slowly and rightfully encroach.
- See the article at www.marketingcharts.com
- Receive a daily summary of The Marketing Automation Alert directly to your inbox. Subscribe here (your privacy is protected).
- If you like this scoop, PLEASE share by using the links below.
- iNeoMarketing drives more revenue and opportunities for B2B companies using marketing technologies. Contact us!
See on www.marketingcharts.com