Here’s how you should handle backfires going forward…
- Remember the 12 backfires and where they fall within the likelihood-severity matrix.
- Audit your site for psychological backfires.
- Before launching a test, audit it for the risk of psychological backfires. Do what you can to reduce those risks.
- Launch an A/B test, limiting the risk of widespread backfires.
- Determine whether the treatment increased conversions or not.
- Using qualitative research, look for evidence of backfires.
- Record all of the backfires and refer to them before running future tests.
- If you still have control of the backfire(s) and it’s causing an overall negative outcome, remove it.
A very good read. Note #4…TEST!